The Spiderweb design was chosen as it's easy for different people to contribute blocks. We decided on the colours we thought were appropriate for our Birthday Girl, exchanged strips of suitable fabrics amongst the Group and I demonstrated the block by showing each stage by making up a set of examples.
These examples came out again recently as we are now making another Spiderweb Quilt, this time in quite different colours for the youngest of our members. She has contributed to many "Special Birthday" and :Cheering Up because you are ill" quilts and we all felt it was high time she was gifted a Group quilt too.
Now everyone has made their quilt blocks I decided to finish a quilt myself by turning my UFO blocks into a quilt. A couple of days ago I took this photo of my progress:
Not a very good picture I'm afraid but I hope you can see what's happening.
Lots of bright strings sewn onto a white Kona cotton background triangle.
I have completed more triangles since this picture was taken but now I have run out of background triangles so I need to cut more white 10" squares. Only problem is, I don't appear to have an exact colour match. I have three different white fabrics, none exactly the same shade of white! So I've decided as this is a scrappy string quilt anyway I am not going to stress about colour matching white fabrics!!! As long as I have 4 of the same white triangles in each block I hope the shade differences will get lost amongst the colours of the strips and the Perle hand quilting I intend to do on this quilt.
Off to cut some more strings from my 2.5" strings stash. It always amazing how many strips you need for these String projects - hence my stash of strips!