Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Couple of Recent Flimsies

After I made my very first foundation pieced string block for Brenda's challenge I went on to make about 45 more. ;- )

I tried out several arrangements. This first one is pretty much how they landed on the wall as I finished each block.



Then zigzag...


And all going one way...

In the end I decided on this sort-of-barn-raising arrangement:

You can see more about this project on my blog here.

After that I took inspiration from one of the quilts in Freddy & Gwen Collaborate Again and created this top:


It doesn't get much scrappier than this! While the first top I showed you was made out of my strings box (skinny, oddly cut strips)  this one was made primarily with precision cut 1.5," 2.5," and 3.5" strips. I did throw in the occasional wonky strip though. Both of these tops will be finished by members of my local quilt guild and then donated to children in Foster Care here in our community.

Magpie Sue

6 comments:

Lori R. said...

Yay! You've been having fun!! I kind of liked that zig zag arrangement with the sparks of red. BUT, I like them all .... I'd better get back to my sewing machine ....

Nifty Quilts said...

Love all of your stringy ideas!

Cheryl Willis said...

you are way ahead of me! I said I would make a block, even pulled strings for it but when she asked for material backing I lost track. Just don't seem to have anything on hand I can cut into for sqs. Your strings are beautiful! cw

Ginny said...

Looking good!

Anonymous said...

My preference goes to the same as you, the Barn raising is more interesting... and I am currently making a top just like yours! I hope to be able to show it soon.
Bravo Magpie Sue!
Katell, France

Tonya Ricucci said...

really fun - they're both great.