Sunday, June 30, 2013

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Free-Form Finish

This afternoon I applied the facings to the quilted wall hanging that I made at the Rayna Gillman workshop.  The workshop was based on her book Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts.    I enjoyed the workshop, enjoyed the process and will definitely make more quilts using her improv methods.

Next time I vow to be more crooked!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Improv R Us!!!

Oh boy, I just spent a weekend in an orgy of strips and strings.  Rayna Gillman taught a 2 day workshop here in Washington NC.  Here is what I made, just waiting for quilting.

Here are a couple other compositions of fellow students:

by Debby McCullough

by Katherine McNeese

by Charlotte Elks

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stringing without Foundation

I made these strings without muslin foundations and found it was much easier. First sew string sets about 10 inches square. Then sew pairs of them together like potholders (90 degree rotation of the strings.) The last step cutting the potholders on both diagonals. Each new block has strings on one half perpendicular to the other half. 

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Watermelon strings

I made this quick string quilt using **interesting** fabrics from my guild's stash.  As soon as I get the binding stitched to the back, it will be turned in as a donation for our Comfort Quilts program.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Red and Strings

I traded with friends for these blocks but didn't make the quilt until several years had passed. The thickness of blocks with muslin foundation makes them harder to seam together. This time I added sashing to take care of that problem.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cobweb Finish

I had to look way, way back .... to April of LAST YEAR, to find the post where I showed off this string quilt top.  Many things got in it's way, but last night the last stitches went into the binding.

It's story:  I bought a plastic box labeled "feed sack scraps" at a local quilt show for $15.  The box sat on a shelf for a WHILE.  I had just finished another string quilt when I saw this pattern in a little book of quilt blocks.  The perfect project for my scraps!  The size of the quilt (38" x 51") was dictated by the amount of scraps.  I have a few whole feed sacks stashed away, so that's the border.  

The green solid came from my stash and as you can see, I didn't have quite enough.  I quilted in big stitch.  I had one ball of #8 red pearl cotton and I was afraid that I would run short, so I used pearl cotton on the solids and 3 strands of the same color DMC floss on the prints.  In the center of each block, 12 seams come together and it's hard to make the intersection PERFECT, so I added vintage buttons.  30's reproduction fabric on the back.