Friday, February 17, 2017

Using those Orphan String squares

I decided to use those Orphan String squares as centres for Wonky star blocks.
I trimmed the blocks down to 4.5" square and used them for the centres of the QAYG stars.
They made a finished block of 12.5" as requested by Adrienne  (On the windy side blog) for her Block Drive so she can make some quilts to give to children affected by the November Kaikoura earthquake.

 
My favourite block is :
 

I made similar QAYG blocks for Alison's Soy Amado Project back in 2014 and was very pleased to see how good they looked in Alison's  finished quilt.

Google Soy Amado No 38 on Little Island Quilting: Sunday 15 June 2014.

7 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

The star with the stitching really shines. Beautiful!

Dolly said...

Wonderful idea for strings. They make ANY design more interesting. Great job.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gorgeous stars - really like the string pieced center blocks.

Cynthia said...

I really like what you did. The stars dress the string blocks up. I also like the double stitching around the outside of the blocks. Great job and great idea.

Cynthia

Linda said...

Thank you for the lovely comments. I loved making the blocks, using the orphan blocks and the Perle stitching,

Sarah said...

Ooo these look good. Nice double stitching too!

Carli The Quilter said...

Oh my these little blocks have found a new home and they are so sweet! Thank you for sharing.