Sunday, September 30, 2018

Scrappy Half Log Cabin Stashbuster


I just finished this scrappy half log cabin top with the goal of emptying a bag of strings that had been lollygagging around for a long time.  The blocks began with 2" light squares, and were built out to 10" using random width strings.The light fabric used for the corner squares and inner borders consumed an odd less-than-a-yard chunk from my stash.  I used several different leftover ends of red solids to tie everything together.  

No particular destination for this quilt -- it was just a scrapbuster.

***************

10 comments:

Terri said...

I like it! Good use of strips.
Hugs

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I just love red. I really like the contemporary off kilter feel of the squares, although it is an old pattern. Nice job!

Frog Quilter said...

Love it. Are there any strings left lol?

Lesley Gilbert said...

Very nice - another idea for my 'to do' list :)

Ann said...

Your quilt has such an antique feel. Congratulations.
I've made some of these handkerchief blocks but mine often look odd. I hadn't thought of using a common outer row. I notice yours are slightly different reds of slightly different sizes. Fabulous idea.
Thanks for sharing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love it - scrappy for all the right reasons.

Mystic Quilter said...

Great scrappy quilt, love the cream squares and the addition of that lovely red.

QuiltGranma said...

I love how you tied it all together with the common theme of the scrappy reds. I love red as an accent color!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Great scrap buster! I should make one to use some of my strings. I like the light squares to begin and the red does a great job of pulling it all together.

Susan said...

Is it ever possible to empty a bag of strings completely? I keep mine in a drawer, but they seem to fill the drawer as fast as I use them! This one is really nice and I haven't tried one like it, so I have added it to my pinterest page to remember it.