Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Green Strings with a Bit of Paper Piecing

It's the time of year to finish things up. Back in January I sewed all my strings into single color blocks. I used a few to make a baby quilt but the rest sat on the shelf. Until now.

Because they are the liveliest I pulled the greens first. Almost enough to make a toddler quilt. Two blocks short. But there were two purple blocks in the pile so they were added.
Green String Toddler quilt
The red bits are a discarded paper pieced border from years ago. I sewed them in the middle of the blocks until there wasn't enough. You can see the last smidge in the top right corner, placed to use all of it. I didn't worry about centering properly or perfect points on the string blocks but think it looks fine.

The channel quilting was done with a walking foot. No measuring; just used the foot as a guide. After washing the quilting really stands out.

The binding came from my box of leftover binding bits. It's an easy finish for a soft toddler quilt.

More information on my blog here.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ann

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I LOVE this quilt!!!

apiecefullife said...

Looks great. I love the colours.

Linda said...

Great use of your green string blocks! Love the pieced red border you used up - it really adds cohesion to the quilt and the two purple blocks make the whole quilt "sing". Super finish!

Jeanne said...

Wonderful!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the richness of colors and the visual texture.

Ann said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. Happy Thanksgiving.

Vivian said...

Love It! Great use of what was on hand. Just goes to show that scrappy always works!