Saturday, January 26, 2019

Back to Basics

I haven't posted on this blog in literally years. I'm sure any of us who have been quilting for many years have recognized the ebb and flow of interest in patterns and techniques, even in our own work. So after a hiatus I have returned to some string piecing.

There are so many different ways to work with strips and/or strings! I'd cut width-of-fabric strips from older yardage a few years back in an effort to clear out and update my stash a bit. But then I found I wasn't using a lot of those strips. I tend to work with specific size patches rather than long strips or strata. Or at least that's what I've been doing most recently.

I was inspired to cut my long strips into 8.5" lengths by a post over on Confessions of a Fabric Addict. I do love a Chinese Coins style quilt! And now I have this basket full of strips all the same length but in varying widths:


I'm sewing the strips together randomly, up to about 12-13 inches long so I have rough blocks to work with. When I have the number I figure I'll need for the quilt I'm building I can arrange and rearrange them before sewing them into columns, and then the columns into a flimsy. Here's what I have so far:


I didn't really expect to get this far this quickly! My basket still seems pretty full. I may very well have enough strips for two good size quilts. 😀

Magpie Sue

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love coins quilts - there's at least one in my not too distant future. Hooray for using your strings and emptying the basket!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looking real good- hope you are enjoying the sewing and the process!

lil red hen said...

So very colorful!! In the past I have pieced strips this way, then set them together with a solid strip between them. Baskets of scraps always seem to multiply don't they?

O'Quilts said...

i love coins too and I love more posting

Sharon said...

This looks great. And it came together pretty quickly too. Yay for pre-cutting your strips! You will zoom right through those strips almost before you know it.