I say "purposeful strings" because I made my string blocks from yardage rather than scraps (for the most part). I used the layer and slice and shuffle method to make 6.5" blocks.
Then I arranged and sewed most of the blocks into four columns. The leftover blocks were cut down to 3.5" and sewn into three narrow columns.
I used sashing strips that finished at one inch to separate each column from its' neighbor.
Another one inch frame went all the way around before the six inch border was put on.
I'm really pleased with the way this turned out. Can't wait to get it quilted so I can cuddle up with a good book. ;- )