Good morning all.
I just wanted to stop in and show you the first string quilt I made. Two years ago I saw a post from Diane Wilson at MQR (sorry I can't find her post to link to) showing a drawing of a quilt that she was going to make.
I knew right away that I had to try it so I contacted her. There is no 'pattern' except for her drawing so I kinda drafted my own pattern in the block size I wanted to use and set about cutting strips out of these fabrics. Plus I used a small dark brown strip to separate the two colors. I decide to use some really old ugly fabric for the 7"x10" foundations.
Once I had half of the blocks made I started putting them on the design wall as I made the other half. Notice that the colors had to be reversed to complete the diamond shape. I had to keep reminding myself of this little fact as I sewed the strips. lol
[BTW... a lot of those lighter strips were replaced by darker strips in the final quilt].
As you can see I made a small dark stop border to frame the center blocks... and then added two small borders on both sides of the border diamonds. I wanted them to seem to float along the border and I think I've achieved that effect.
Here is a picture of the finished top. It has been quilted and snuggled under these last two Christmas's.
I can sure see this pattern made in many different color arrangements. And I may just do that one day. I have a lot more foundations ready to go and a LOT more ugly fabric waiting to be used. ;0)
Have a great day....