Wednesday, January 27, 2016

QAYG String blocks

I have made QAYG Strings blocks for Jan Macfadyen of sewmanyquiltstoolittletime.blogspot.com on a couple of occasions.  Over the past couple of days I have looked through the small stash of fabric that I have here in NZ and decided a lot of it has hung around too long - it needs to be used up! 

I cut all the scraps and unwanted pieces of fabric into strips of varying widths, de-boned one of my husband's shirts which had a worn collar, used bits of batting leftovers and created these blocks to send to Jan to augment her depleted stock of QAYG blocks.




The first two sets of blocks measure 10.5" square, the last set measures 12.5" square. These are the sizes Jan works with to create the many, many quilts she makes for charity.  At present she is making quilts for a Woman's Refuge.

Jan welcomes all sorts of donations: quilt tops, orphan blocks, fabric and batting (pieces or scraps), QAYG Strings blocks like the ones I have made.  All is explained on her blog, even how to use those small bits of leftover backing and putting them to good use.
Give it a go!

8 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

How wonderful and for a good cause. I have never seen them done with batting, Great idea for sure, beats ripping out the paper foundation.

Julierose said...

Oh how neat to know this--yours are really pretty...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for sharing the information and link!

Meanqueen said...

I like your string things.

CountryMum said...

What a wonderful use for your scraps and unwanted fabrics. They will be so treasured when made into the quilts I would imagine.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of another quilter that I may choose to help! Sometimes I like to experiment with colors or patterns WITHOUT making a full quilt out of the resulting blocks. Finding someone who will use them for Doing Good makes me happy.

Leeanne said...

I like the look of this. Just recently made a strip scrap quilt for one of my nieces.

Marlies said...

Wunderschöne Näharbeiten die sie herstellen . Bewundernswert. Ganz liebe Grüsse Marlies