Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Round Lake is Rectangular


I love to reuse fabric found in clothing. 

There is really something mystical about it.

This little quilt has found its way into our old camper. Its a rough style of camper that is mostly a "Man Cave on wheels."

This quilt is my way of putting our family in the camper with him. This quilt was formed from intuition. I was a young Mom with two toddlers of my own and I provided paid childcare for other mothers who worked outside the home.

I had my sewing machine in a case ready for a complete nap time in my house.

Then I'd sew slowly and quietly on the machine while babies napped on the floor beside me. Eventually, I returned to hand stitching, it was must simpler and easier to stash away from inquiring little fingers.

The light denim in this top came from a pair of "Preggo Pants" that I made but it was a pair of overalls.

The orange corduroy came from a set of overalls that were given to one of our sons when they were just a wee one and didn't have any use.

The darker blue denim came from a pair of jeans that my husband wore out.

The green corduroy was a remnant found at a thrift store.

The rust corduroy is from another pair of pants I made after I started to get my figure back after pregnancies.

The cream colored border fabric was a new remnant fabric.

The fish appliques were the fabrics of my first ever purchase of a thing called a "Fat Quarter" and the backing was an emergency blanket from a garage sale. The sandwich was missing the batting. But the layers provided a really nice fluff and warmth to it. I did my first machine quilting on this blanket back in 1992. It was simple 'in the ditch' machine quilting that taught me that sewing a straight line inside the ditch is actually trickier that I first thought.

Strings come in many shapes and sizes. 

Happy Quilting everyone!









5 comments:

Ann said...

So many wonderful memories in this quilt! How delightful.

Julierose said...

What a great use of those fabrics--this is really adorable--love those butterflies...hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

A real memory quilt. What a delightful story! And such a useful quilt too.

CountryMum said...

What a treasure. All those memories that come back with the fabrics. Beautiful.

Kate said...

The memories are the best part of scrap quilts.