Friday, February 10, 2012

Finally an Intro!

Hello, it's P. (as in Paulette) from The Way I Sew It.  I've been enjoying reading the posts here and getting to know a bit about each of you.  I'm happy to be a part of the String Thing-Along too!

I love string quilts, and I've made a couple over the past few years.  The first one I made was for Heartstrings.  I threw everything but the kitchen sink into it!  I sent it to Mary, and she quilted and donated it for me.  I didn't have a blog at that time, but she posted a picture on hers, which can be found here.

A couple years ago, I was inspired by a photo of a vintage quilt and decided to make one like it, a double pinwheel string quilt.  I posted a tutorial for it on my blog, which you can find via that link.  Feel free to check it out sometime (and if you make one, please share a photo!).

Since then, I've bookmarked a lot of string quilts for the bucket list.  Funny how that bucket list just keeps filling up, isn't it?  Recently, I was inspired by another vintage quilt photo in Gwen Marston's Liberated String Quilts book, and that project is what I will be working on for the String Thing-Along.  You can read about how I got started on it here.

The first block that I made was a test, but I liked how it turned out and made it into a wall hanging.  Then I decided I might make one block per month, and by the end of the year I'd have a quilt.  Now that I've joined this group, I may have to kick it into gear and move that plan up a bit!

Here is the block I worked on this week.  I don't have the center added or it appliqued onto a background yet.

The way I've been making them is to make four or five different strata, or layers of strings, trim to 6-1/2 inches, and then use the Easy Dresden ruler to cut the wedges.  

There are 20 wedges in each ring, and by varying the fabrics in the different strata, I can get some interesting scrappy variety.  But I'm trying to keep the color scheme to cream, gray, blue, red, and green.  Might seem strange, but I think it's going to work, and besides, I like all those colors!  I also like to mix vintage fabrics with contemporary, and even throw in some recycled plaid shirts.  I think the eclectic mix adds interest.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my plans and progress with you.  I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone's projects turn out! 

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow! Great Dresden, and fabulous links to your other work. I look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Mary Johnson said...

I remember finishing that one - it was lovely!

Your wedges are looking great too!

Joanne said...

Great tutorial for your double pinwheels. As you say, that bucket list just keeps growing.
I am looking forward to seeing your other project come along. Joanne

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great tutorial for the double pinwheel -- that's a keeper for sure.

And thanks for sharing the method you're using for your stringed dresdens ... love the results!!

Finn said...

Love the look of your string dresdens! Great colors and enough fabric that it looks random and scrappy. Great tutorial as well! Thanks!

Rosa said...

I love your string dresdens, georgeous.Thanks for the tutorial!