Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Scrappy String Thing Playtime...

I had a lot of fun during this 'playtime'. There were a bunch of flannel or brushed cotton strings and even a few strips in a box of donated Orphan blocks. I wondered what I could make with them, and if it would be enough for some sort of a top?



So I sewed, sewed and sewed. I kept going until the plastic bag was empty and this was the result.

I managed to make 25 blocks that are about 8.5". It happened totally without planning. If I had planned, I might have discarded the lightest ones. I'm finding I like string and crumb pieces better if you leave out things that read as white. The cream and lighter plaids seem to work for me, but not those white ones. I suppose it should have a border or borders added, but it will still be rather an odd size. Any suggestions? The top is about 40" square right now. It was not foundation pieced.

6 comments:

Cheryl Willis said...

do a 2 1/2" border of a favorite color and then do a 6 1/2" of stringy piano keys. If it is still not the size you want add a larger border of a different favorite print OR :words that make you smile

Finn said...

Great idea Cheryl, thank you!

Nifty Quilts said...

It's wonderful! I think anything you do will be good.

Connie said...

Isn't it fun sometimes to just play with no destination in mind! All the blocks look great, would it be big enough for a lap quilt? Otherwise how about a narrow border and then some piano bars around it?

Magpie Sue said...

Are these foundation pieced?

If you just set what you have in a 5x5 grid you'll have the size they want for participants in the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study
(http://adcs.org/Research/Quilts.aspx) and they'll take any type of quilt. Or if you want to donate it locally it would make a great wheelchair quilt.

Finn said...

Thanks Sue, what a great idea!! I think I do have it set 5 X 5, LOL, strange that I have to go and look at the picture to see.
And no, the blocks aren't foundation pieced. I just one string and then another and kept adding until I had "about" 8+ inches and then whacked it off. None of the strips were very long, and I ended up piecing even the smaller scraps together to get what I needed. Right now it's about 40" X 40".