Wednesday, April 4, 2012

String-y stars

Yesterday I rough-pieced several string blocks for the center of my string star project.  I decided to do the diamond in the square setting, just to be different and scrappy.

I tried three different settings, here's the first one:

for some reason when I laid it out I thought it looked a bit busy, and I rejected it as an option.  But now that I look at it again, it looks okay.  Nice and bright, the way I intended!

Next, I decided to go with just one color for the points, to match the fabric surrounding the string section:

That's really dull and boring, isn't it?  All you can see is blue! 

After laying it out with those colors, I decided my problem was that the fabric was all solid... so I tried a third layout:

This one uses the same fabric for all the star points...  Hmm... 

I went ahead and pieced this one and trimmed it, but "now that I look at it"...  I believe it's that blue center part that's throwing everything off!  I don't like the third setting as much as I thought I would, so I might go back to the first layout.  That center surrounding the diamond might need a fix, though; also, I'm thinking of making the points a bit smaller.  Back to the drawing board!

Sew forth and sew on

3 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

A fun way to use strings!

Jean said...

Love them! We are always our worst critic!

Wonky Girl said...

Ah, I like your first block! Make a whole bunch and I bet you will love it :)